If time and weather permits, walking is perhaps the best way to see the city as the back alleys are littered with antiquities that are not accessible by motorized vehicles. Most trades and goods categories are concentrated in a specific area or along one main street.
* Xiguan Antique Street near Liwan Park.
* Flower Street Baohua Lu.
* Jade Street Changshou Lu and Wenchang Lu, near Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street. [Metro 1 Chang Shou Lu]
* Ivory and Sea products Daxin Lu.
* Toy Stree and Dried goods and snacks Street Yide Lu. [Metro 2 Hai Zhu Guang Chang]
* Bridal Street Jiangnan Bei Lu .
* Flowers, Aquatic and Lightings Street Danan Lu near Beijing Lu. [Metro 1, 2 Gong Yuan Qian]
* Household Merchandise Street Gaodi Jie. The street has become a shopping center selling everyday goods.
* Cultural Street Wende Lu. This is a good place to look for antiques and traditional Chinese artistic goods. [Metro 1 Long Jiang Suo]
* Qingping Market Qingping Lu. It is located North from Shamian Island. Cantonese are known to eat just about any animal, and the market is world famous for its wild animal trades, although it has been tamer since the SARS outbreak. It is still a great place to go for exotic goods. [Metro 1 Huang Sha]
* Haiyin Shopping District is located at the northwest side of the Haiyin Bridge, selling appliances, sporting goods, cloth, fabrics, camera accessories, and eletronics.
Malls and shopping centers
* Beijing Lu Pedestrian Street. This is the main shopping thoroughfare, a pedestrian street where most stores are open from 9am to 10pm. Avoid touts who solicit pirated DVDs and imitation goods, and whomever you have to follow into the small dark alleys in between buildings to see the goods. Remember to visit Mayflower Plaza at 68 Zhongshan 5 Lu, at the northern end of the Pedestrian Street. This is a place where young people hang out and shop. [Metro 1, 2 Gong Yuan Qian - Exits C, D]
* Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street. This shopping area is also a showcase of traditional Cantonese architecture, especially pretty at night when it's lit up. Prices here are generally lower than Beijing Lu's, but prepare to bargain a fair bit. Remember to visit Liwan Plaza, located at 9 Dexing Lu, the east end of the street. You will find a good selection of crystal here. [Metro 1 Chang Shou Lu - Exits D1, D2]
* Zhengjia Plaza, 228 Tianhe Lu. +86 020 3833-0098. A new mall built near Teem Mall, located in the heart of Tianhe district. Includes famous fashion stores and several department stores, with beautiful musical fountians and fantastic views. Guest flow can reach half a million a day on holidays and festivals. This mall a most likely suitable for foreigners, mentioning that Starbucks, Dairyqueen, Pizzahut and McDonalds are within. An iceskating rink, amusement park, and a fivestar cinema is available. This is the largest Western-style shopping mall in China. [Metro 1, 3 Ti Yu Zhong Xin]
* China Plaza. 33 Zhongshan 3 Lu. Located on top of a metro station, this is another large shopping mall with brand name department stores, clothing and electronics stores, restaurants, etc. [Metro 1 Lie Shi Ling Yuan]
* Teem Mall, 208 Tianhe Lu. This is probably the busiest and most popular shopping mall in the heart of the city. It is located right above the metro station. [Metro 1 Ti Yu Xi Lu]
* Zhong Tian Shopping Plaza. Located at Zhongxin Square near the East Train Station, it's more than a place to shop and eat. The plaza has great one-stop services to meet your banking, dry cleaning, grooming and transportation ticket needs. [Metro 1 Guangzhou Dong Zhan]
* Friendship Store, 369 Huanshi Dong Lu. 9:45AM-9:45PM. It is one of the oldest department stores targeting foreigners in Guangzhou. You will also find its branches in Zhengjia Plaza and Times Square on 28 Tianhe Beilu.
* Zi You Ying Outdoor Travel Goods 229 Jiangnan Dadao Zhong, Xin An Plaza Suite 180 This is a great place to replenish your travel supplies.
* Wang Fu Jing 40 Long Lin Xia Lu. The famous department store in Beijing opened a branch in Guangzhou with the same name, featuring mid to high-end products.